Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Orlando - February 22, 2011

The kids have their winter break this week and since it had been five years since our last trip to Florida, we decided it was time to take everyone down there again.  The kids and I had a non-stop flight from San Francisco to Orlando, which went very well.  They got kind of sick of just watching TV, so the girls made about a hundred trips to the bathroom to entertain themselves, but aside from that, it was a fairly easy flight.  My parents picked us up at the airport and we headed toward their house, stopping for dinner on the way.  The two older kids are still recovering from a miserable virus that hit both of them and me last week, so they were fading quickly by the time we got to dinner.  We ate as quickly as we could and got them home to bed right away, with the hope that they would get a good night's sleep and feel better the next day.

It was a long night.  Our son shared a bed with me and every time he woke up coughing, he woke me up.  Our little one was up twice, not sure where she was or what was going on, so she was crying and unhappy.  Our older daughter woke up with a headache and cough at one point, so I gave her meds for those in the middle of the night.  They were all up at about 8:00 this morning and my mom was up with them, so I finally went to sleep for a bit while she gave them breakfast and kept them entertained.

Our son was still feeling under the weather, so we decided to hang out at my parents' house for the day to let him rest and hopefully get his strength back so we can do some fun stuff in the next few days.  The kids all tried going in the pool, but the water is still pretty chilly since this is the first warm weather they've had all winter.  Our son gave up and went back inside to play with his planes and watch TV, while the girls entertained themselves "rescuing" things from the pool with the net and brush and playing with the hose on the screens.  The weather this afternoon was so lovely that I had to get outside, so my mom and I took the girls to the park for a little while to let them burn off a bit of energy before dinner.

Our son was the first one to bed tonight and I'm hoping he'll sleep well and have more energy for tomorrow.  Our little one managed to snooker my dad into letting her out of bed for a trip to their bathroom, but then fell asleep quickly, too.  Our older daughter got to spend some time reading with my mom and then she was off to bed.  We're hoping everyone will wake up feeling well because we're planning on doing the Magic Kingdom for the day tomorrow and it would not be fun to be dragging sick kids around there all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment