Saturday, January 23, 2010

Breakfast Quinoa


I bought an issue of Martha Stewart Living a week ago and have been really enjoying reading it. There are some great recipes and this one caught my eye, so I decided to try it since we were actually home this morning (a very rare thing!).

I didn't see this recipe on the web site yet, but that may be because it just came out in the magazine. There are lots of other quinoa recipes, though, if you happen to really like this particular grain.

Ingredients:
2 cups whole or low-fat milk, plus more for serving (I used soy milk instead and it worked well.)
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
3 Tbs. light-brown sugar, plus more for serving
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
1 cup (1/2 pint) fresh blueberries, plus more for serving

Directions:
Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa, and return to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until 3/4 of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.

Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed, about 8 minutes.
Stir in blueberries and cook for 30 seconds.
Serve with additional milk, sugar, cinnamon, and blueberries.

This was SO good! I'm not a huge oatmeal fan, so I don't tend to make hot cereal, but this was fantastic. The grains have a really nice texture after cooking and the flavor is a bit nutty and mixes well with the sugar, cinnamon, and fruit. Personally, I really like the flavor of cooked soy milk and would choose it over regular milk any day, but that's just me. One tip - be sure to watch this closely because it can boil over very quickly. I stirred it occasionally as it was cooking, and that worked well to keep the foam down.

No comments:

Post a Comment