Monday, March 22, 2010

Crockpot Chicken with Apricots and Dates

I wanted to use my crockpot again, so I turned to my go-to blog for a recipe this morning. This is the one I tried today and it's very tasty. I used bone-in thighs and removed the skins part-way through cooking. I should have removed the bones earlier because we ended up with a lot of cartilage pieces in the meat, and I did cook it a bit too long because the meat ended up a bit soupy. The flavor is really good, though, and I'd definitely make this one again. (Note: I added salt to taste at the end because it was a bit bland, as many of her recipes are. I've learned by trying them that she likes things less flavorful than we do.)

I served this over couscous, mainly because I had some on hand. It would have been better over a bigger grain, like rice, or over cauliflower couscous. I also roasted some broccoli in the toaster oven, which went with this really well.

Roasted Broccoli

Cut broccoli florets into halves or quarters, depending on size. Cut stems into equal size pieces. Put broccoli on baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat.
Sprinkle with granulated onion, granulated garlic, salt, and pepper.
In oven or toaster oven, bake at 400 degrees. Watch closely and as one side starts to brown, remove tray and stir.
Return tray to oven and continue baking to desired tenderness.
For toaster oven, baking time is approximately 5 minutes. For oven, baking time is 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment