Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Project

I have found myself in the middle of a viral project. It's one of those things that seemed simple enough - spackle the holes where my daughter's curtain hold-back came out of the wall. I figured that if I was spackling, I might as well do all of the spots that needed it, which turned out to be many since we seem to have a talent for knocking large chunks of wall off of our corners. Of course, the spackle is white and our walls are not, so that means that all of those spots now need to be painted to match the rest of the walls. It didn't make sense to have these clean spots where the walls were just painted surrounded by the normal grime that we usually think of as our wall color, so that meant cleaning all of the walls. And that has found me on my knees all morning with a bowl of soapy water and a rag scrubbing all of the walls and baseboards. I have managed to do the downstairs so far, which has allowed me to see more spots that need to be spackled and has created more spots that need to be painted since we have the world's cheapest paint and it tends to rub off as I clean. I'll make my way upstairs to do the rest of the walls next.

On top of that, I need to do a second coat of paint in the kids' bathroom because I'm in the middle of repainting in there; I desperately need to bathe the dog because he's now shedding in chunks after being at the beach last weekend and he still smells a bit ocean-y; I have to finish building my drip watering system for my garden, that I started to work on about 5 weeks ago and have yet to finish; and I have to get to the grocery store today because we are now out of just about everything except toilet paper (stocked up just before we left for Maui). So much for a weekend with absolutely nothing planned!

I keep telling myself that it will all be worth it when these things are done and we can enjoy them. I'm beginning to think it may just be easier to move and start over.

No comments:

Post a Comment