Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wednesday Wash Day


Wednesday and Sunday are my laundry days. Why, you may ask? Because it means the fewest number of uniforms for the kids (3) and the fewest number of wash days. Brilliant, no? Anyway, I really don't mind doing laundry. Filling the machine, adding the soap and softener - and always Oxi Clean, folding, hanging, putting away, I don't mind any of it. The one thing that really gets me is the sorting. And that's because as I sort the laundry, I have to empty pockets.

I'd always heard stories about the things moms find in their sons' pockets. Marbles, rocks, frogs, string are all the stuff legend. My son isn't too bad in that regard, though. I just generally find empty snack containers and lint in his pockets.

My daughter's clothes, though, make me cringe. I usually have a large collection of the cleanest rocks in town sitting on top of my drier, since I've had to dig them out after listening to them bang around in the load of clothes. She will pick up literally anything and stick it in her pockets, only to leave it there for me to find as I go through the laundry. I've come across hair clips and rubber bands, sand, crackers, raisins, paper, small toys, feathers, paper clips, bracelets, her watch, and rocks. Lots and lots of rocks. She's so obsessed with rocks that one of her friends tried to find her a rock-related birthday present, but gave her a selection of soaps and lotions instead (not sure what she was suggesting with that one, but my daughter loved them anyway). I've tried to tell her that it's gross to pick that kind of stuff up, and even more gross to carry it home with her in her pockets. It hasn't had any effect.

Now my youngest has discovered pockets and specifically asks to wear pants with pockets. So far, she is only putting her hands in them, but I'm sure if she is anything like her sister, she, too, will be collecting weird stuff and leaving it for me to find on laundry day.

No comments:

Post a Comment