Monday, June 1, 2009

I Need a Fashion Intervention

I had a "What Not to Wear" moment the other night.

Let me first say, that I would love to be nominated for the show. I have begged my friends to submit me for it. I happily admit that I am the least fashionable person I know, with pretty much the most boring wardrobe on the planet. I only wear make-up for really fancy occasions, and even then I barely manage to look passable. It's actually so bad, that my husband prefers it when I don't wear make-up. I have had the same hair style for probably 10 years (at least it's not a reverse mullet!). I've tried to change my hair color, but my hair revolts and will now only be blonde. So I know I need help and I just keep waiting for Stacy and Clinton to jump out at me and offer to take me off to New York for a week to make me over.

Every once in a while, I leave the house in an outfit that I know would make them cry. I imagine that there is a hidden camera somewhere nearby capturing how pathetic I am for all the world to see, over and over again in syndication (I definitely need a hobby). And yet, I still go out wearing it.

Here's my latest example. Saturday night, Mike and I were trying to make popcorn the old-fashioned way. We realized that we needed more popcorn and oil, since our last experiment had gone seriously wrong. I left for the nearby Safeway, at 9:45 at night, wearing an old t-shirt under a dark green, fleece-lined hoodie, with shorts, crew socks, and my slippers, already wearing my glasses, and my hair in it's end-of-the-day state. And being the environmental geek I am, I walked into the store carrying my pet store reusable bag. It was quite the picture, and I got a number of weird sideways glances as I loaded up my bag with popcorn, oil, and Junior Mints (the ultimate accompaniment to popcorn). I could easily picture a cameraman hiding around the corner of the freezer case, laughing his head off as he got prime footage to take back to New York.

I hurried home, and am now biding my time until I get "ambushed" as a result of my incredible lack of fashion sense. My only consolation - at least I wasn't wearing my mint green, Curious George lounge pants. That might have been too much even for Stacy and Clinton.

3 comments:

  1. OK, Missy, two comments:

    1) You simply CANNOT post a message like this and not include a picture. First of all, how can we help you if we don't see how bad it really is? More importantly, don't we deserve some entertainment?

    2) Your husband, years ago, taught me that Snow Caps are, in fact, the ultimate movie food. I have lived by that mantra since that day (between that and Rush, I owe that man a lot). I'm shocked that you're not on board with that, too.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. See the latest post for the evidence. It's pretty gruesome.

    As for the Snow Caps, I have to absolutely disagree. While they are a perfectly lovely candy, they don't have the zing needed to offset the greasy coating imparted by the popcorn, making them far inferior to Junior Mints as a movie candy. I will give you Rush, though. They're still the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sno-Caps (note correct spelling) vs. Junior Mints debate is moot, because both arguments are correct. Junior Mints really do go best with popcorn, but Sno-Caps are the ultimate movie food (regardless of any popcorn connection). Embrace them both!

    As for Rush, well, nothing more need be said. Except this: Jason, check out Old Crow Medicine Show ("for something completely different...").

    M

    ReplyDelete